» わたしのこと «


The writer does not intend to but tends to make silly remarks that make others laugh. Sometimes she enjoys this unintentional trait of hers, and sometimes she detests it. But nevertheless, she loves to laugh at silly things, both good and bad, mostly little silly things, because she finds that life is too short to spend it sulking away. She also tends to be sarcastic with her words because the subtlety of dry humour makes her laugh even more and lightheartedly at those who "just don't get it."

» ぜんかい «


  • Waraku photo moments
  • A dedication
  • More shameless activities by the family of bimbos ...
  • The hunt for all things Japanese along the Singapo...
  • $1.20 of happiness
  • Empty dreams
  • First day of work
  • Several things during my short-lived freedom...
  • Heated conversations
  • At World's End

  • December 2005
    January 2006
    February 2006
    March 2006
    April 2006
    May 2006
    June 2006
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    July 2008
    March 2009


    » ともだち «

    Adrian - Aloy - Cat - Daniel
    Dawn - Druce - Faith - Jim
    Karen - Kim - Kyoko - Matt
    Miss M - Nicholas - Nova - Sel
    Sherina - Tuna - Verbalme
    Xiaohui

    » おしゃべり «


    » かんしゃ «

    Sara - Blogger

    Facebook

    Monday, October 29, 2007

    First of all, let me give my compliments to this yet-again-nifty little programme (oh pardon me, "program," as the Americans spell it) called "Facebook," which allows one to connect to various friends and acquaintances in this little network of sorts.

    No, I am not being obtrusively rude here, I have just paid homage to the centre of americanisation. Of course, MacDonald's is another successful venture, possibly the most successful one spearheading America's colonisation of the world these days. What I'm trying to get at is this: the food at Macdonald's is not the attractive point; the point is that people think it is appealing, and that's all that matters, really.

    Facebook is essentially no different from Friendster, which is nothing short of the former's predecessor, albeit a less courteous and less user-friendly programme. The difference is people's idealised image of Facebook. I'm sure the fact that it hailed from America had nothing whatsoever to do with its popularity.

    Of course, this has got to be the main difference. How can you invent a programme and hope it to "catch on" when nobody wants to use it? If everybody wants to use it, it will definitely become part of mass consumption.

    Surely I'm not looking down on Facebook and its networking pyrotechnics. In fact, I'm rather impressed at the influence it has been wielding on everyone, including those who don't use it - even they have heard about it.

    To date, I have found enough long-lost friends on Facebook who have gotten married and even have kids to be able to count them so I can keep track. And that really is a feat. No, I'm not talking about my friends who are around my age now and who have certainly tied the knot in the last three years or so, although I do think that is quite a feat. I'm talking about how even these people are not too busy with their married lives to keep up with a supposedly juvenile programme like Facebook.

    Let me defend myself, before I get shot at by people as young as my "kiddies" in school. I meant that Facebook must have gotten that tag here because people have grown up using Friendster in their younger days and think that Facebook is just another Friendster, only improved and is the "in-thing" right now. So because of this label, some people are naturally adamant about joining and I don't blame them. I joined Facebook because my American-Chinese cousin wants to keep in touch and she doesn't have MSN, neither do I have AIM.

    Anyway my point is that everybody's on Facebook, possibly even that uncle you see sitting at the coffeeshop or that little toddler in his mother's arms, even people's pets are on Facebook. So the question is why is Facebook so accessible? It is not MacDonald's, which reason can be that food is the minimum requirement to survive, so everybody knows about it, even if they may not eat it.

    Yes, it may not be a typical part of your diet but in this place and age, actually if you think about it, it is fodder for us in the internet world. Of course, you could argue that it is not a need in this world.

    Perhaps not. But it is definitely a want in our society to stay "cool" and connected to it, as lame as it sounds.


    6:00 pm
    クロサギ